With the Idle Logout addon for WP Popups, you can create a popup notification that displays to logged-in users after a certain period of inactivity. You can then give users the option to continue their session (stay logged in) or log out immediately. And if a user doesn’t respond after a certain period of time, you can automatically log them out.
This feature is commonly used by financial institutions like banks and credit card companies, and the Idle Logout addon for WP Popups functions much like the popups you’ve almost certainly experienced on those sites.
How to Create an Idle Logout Popup
To get started, make sure to install the Idle Logout addon, which you can download from your WP Popups Downloads dashboard.
1. Create a New Popup and Select Idle Logout Template
In your WordPress dashboard, go to WP Popups -> Add New to create a new popup.
In the Setup tab, select the Idle Logout template:
2. Configure Idle Logout Functionality
To configure the dedicated idle logout features for your popup, go to the Addons tab in the template builder and select Idle Logout.
There, you’ll see five settings in the interface:
- Enable – whether or not to enable the idle logout functionality.
- Session expiration time & Expiration Type – how long to wait to display the idle logout notice after a user starts a browsing session. You can choose from hours, minutes, or seconds.
- Log out redirect URL – a custom URL to send visitors to after they log out. You can leave this field blank to just refresh the page a user was on.
- Log out automatically – how many seconds to wait after displaying the popup to automatically log the user out. For example, if you enter “30”, a user will be automatically logged out 30 seconds after the popup displays unless they click the button to continue their session.
3. Configure Text and Styling
To customize the text and styling for your idle logout notice, you can use the Content and Appearance tabs in the WP Popups template builder.
You can change the:
- Warning text
- Button text
- Display location
4. Publish Popup
Once you publish your popup, your idle logout notification will be live.