With the Age Verification addon, you get access to a pre-made template that lets you display an age verification popup before users can view your site’s content. Once a user verifies their age, the popup will not appear for that user again.
How to Create an Age Verification Popup
To get started, make sure to install the Age Verification addon, which you can download from your WP Popups Downloads dashboard.
1. Create a New Popup and Select Age Verification Template
In your WordPress dashboard, go to WP Popups -> Add New to create a new popup.
In the Setup tab, select the Age Verification template:
2. Configure Text and Styling
After selecting the Age Verification template, you should see a visual preview of your age gate popup. To customize the message and basic styling rules, you can use the regular WP Popups template builder settings.
For example, you can edit the text in the Content tab and configure the button colors and button text in the Appearance tab:
3. Configure Age Verification Functionality
To configure how your age verification popup functions, click on the Addons tab. Then, select Age Verification.
There, you can configure some basic settings.
First, the Type drop-down lets you select from two different approaches to age verification:
- Enter/Exit – visitors will see two buttons. One button confirms their age and lets them enter the site. The other button redirects them to a custom URL if they’re underage.
- Birthday – visitors need to select their birthday from a date picker. The plugin then automatically gives them access or sends them to the exit URL based on their age.
Below the Type drop-down, you can also configure:
- Required Age – the minimum age of a visitor in order for them to be able to access your site.
- Exit URL – the URL to redirect underage visitors to (instead of your site’s content).
4. Publish Popup
Once you publish your popup, your age gate will be live.